Sunday 3 April 2011

Getting creative outside

This afternoon we decided to get creative outside with some music and art in the open air.  I made a music area in the corner of the garden for the children to have a go at making some noise!
I've used some old plant pots (two plastic, one ceramic), wooden wind chimes which I picked up at The Range for £4 a couple of weeks back, three jam jars and a tin watering can which I've hung from the fence using string.  Some pieces of wood to use as drum sticks and we've got our very own homemade outdoor percussion set!
Both Boy and Girl enjoyed this, despite the rain, and hopefully didn't disturb the neighbours too much.
After having let loose our musical creativity we felt it might be good to have a go at some art next.  We started with the chalkboard and then we decided to decorate the paving too!
Writing his name on the ground.
And here is the finished masterpiece which lasted only a few moments because shortly after this the rain washed it away.
Take a look at this great selection of other outdoor play ideas hosted by Mama Pea Pod.

12 comments:

  1. This is so lovely Helen! It will be perfect for our celebration of outdoor play post! Looks like you have made SUCH a fabulous space for them outside :-) Lucky children.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Helen, I love what you are doing in your backyard for the kids. This musical corner is wonderful - do you mind if I share it and link back to you?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Feel free Jenny. I don't mind at all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Helen - here is the post:

    http://progressiveearlychildhoodeducation.blogspot.com/2011/05/ideas-for-music-play-outdoors.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I love this! What fun! I will definitely try to set up something similar when we get our new house! (apartment neighbours might not appreciate it on our balcony! haha)

    We are starting a new Outdoor Play linky party starting this coming Friday, May 13. Would love it if you came by and linked this up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Mama. Will check it out on Friday. I'm a new blogger so it's lovely to get some nice feedback such as yours. Thanks again xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks like fun! Our local playground has a music area, and my kids always head straight to it. I'll have to set up an area like this in our backyard. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Helen, thanks so much for coming over and linking it up! Hope to see you again next Friday!

    By the way, do you have another way to follow your blog besides email?

    Jane @ Mama Pea Pod

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for joining with our Outdoor Play link-up.

    I really like what you have done with your outdoor space. I have to say, I haven't really done too much with music for my little man but this is a very nice and achievable space you have made here.

    Thanks again for sharing with us and hope to see you again next week.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for all your lovely comments ladies.

    Jane, you can follow via Blogger (I just don't display followers at the mo) or catch me on Twitter. I'm on Facebook too but that isn't linked to the blog (although I always share a new post on FB) - I'm a bit of a novice so I'm still learning how to do some technical things!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What fun! The best part of playing outdoors is when you don't have to clean it up and nature does that for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your music corner and have been meaning to create an outdoors music area for such a long time :) You've inspired me to get moving.

    ReplyDelete