Thursday 19 May 2011

Seashell painting

I wondered what the children might come up with if I gave them paints and shells.  This is what happened.
We used paper, red, blue and white paints and some large shells.  First we mixed some paints to make blue and pink.  Then we used the shells to make marks and patterns on the paper.
Then we needed some more paint so I put some red and white onto the plate.  Before I could mix them Girl began using one of the shells to mix the paint and to put blobs of it onto her paper.
It made gave some really interesting results.  Then she asked for some blue.
Here is her finished artwork.
Boy decided he wanted to do some colour mixing.  He said 'Mummy, if you mix blue and white it makes light blue right?'  Yes I said and he mixed some.  Then he added red and said 'this will be purple I think.....it is!'
Here is his shell painting.  After he'd finished that he did some hand prints and and covered a page in purple paint he had mixed.
It can be interesting to find other ways to use paint by using objects as tools.  Be creative and see what you and your children can come up with!

3 comments:

  1. I love your whole attitude and approach to creative experiences: "I wondered what would happen if...."!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Jenny. When I first started doing creative things with my son I really focused on him 'getting it right.' He would never do this but just did it his own way which used to frustrate me. Now I'm happy to let them do their own thing so I like to give them materials or objects or resources without any agenda and let them come up with the creativity!

    ReplyDelete
  3. allowing children to use their imagination and creativity is important for their creative development. children learn through play and it is the end product that matters not the process in which it happens or how they are supposed to do it. this activity is open ended which means it allows the child to use his or her imagination to create what they want to.

    ReplyDelete