Wednesday 29 June 2011

Gingerbread Play Dough

This one totally came from the children.  I had some orange play dough left over from having given some away and, since we have been having a sensory week at nursery, I put some orange extract and cinnamon in.  I asked the children what it reminded them of and they said 'gingerbread men!'  I had never thought of making gingerbread play dough but thought I would give it a go.  This is what happened.
I made a small batch of play dough (1 cup plain flour, 1 cup water, 1 tbsp cream of tartar, 3/4 cup salt, 1 tbsp veg oil.)   Then I added a little orange colouring and several spoonfuls of ground ginger and a little mixed spice.
I put out lots of baking equipment and also some raisins out with the dough and let the children create what they wanted.  At first Boy did not want to play so Girl had the dough to herself.
Boy soon wanted to join in too!
He began cutting out gingerbread men and I asked 'what are you making?'  'A gingerbread family!'  He replied.
Then he made a current bun.
The dough smells just like freshly baked gingerbread men and was a real hit in our house.  Boy wanted to make some real gingerbread men - we will no doubt do this at some point soon.  He kept saying 'can we cook these mummy?'  This would make a great Christmas activity too.  I'm so glad the nursery children prompted me to try this.  Thanks kids!

No comments:

Post a Comment